Active, Reactive and Apparent Power
Consider a series R-L circuit connected across voltage of value V draws an current I. Let the current I lags behind the applied voltage by an angle ϕ. In this case there are three types of power drawn by circuit.
Active Power (p)
It is the power which is actually dissipated by resistance in the circuit.
Reactive Power (Q)
It is the power developed in the inductive reactance of the circuit
Apparent Power (S)
It is given by the product of rms value of voltage and value of circuit current.
Therefor, S = VI = (IZ)I = I2Z in volt amp (VA) of kVA Fig. shows a power triangle in which
Power Factor (P.F.)
Power factor is defined as (a) Cosine of an angle of lead or lag P.F. = cos ϕ (b) The ratio of resistance value to impedance value,PF=R/Z .(c) the ratio of true power to the Apparent power value .
A.C. CIRCUITS TOPIC
- Introduction Of AC Circuits In Electrical Engineering
- How emf is induced in single phase system ? single phase generation .
- Explain what is ac quantity : and Advantages of AC over DC in circuits
- What is waveform, amplitude, cycle, time-period, phase & phase difference
- Define RMS & average value as applied to A.C. voltage & current
- What is form factor? crest factor? peak factor? & power factor? in ac circuits
- what is phasor diagram, phasor algebra, leading & lagging ac quantities
- Phasor representation of alternating quantities – resistive, inductive, capacitive
- What is R-L-C series connection for A.C. circuit ? Explanation
- What is series combination of R-L circuit ? Explanation
- Define what is active power, reactive power, apparent power & power factor
- Explain what is series combination of R-C circuit in electrical engineering
- What is simple parallel AC circuits ? Explanation -electrical engineering
- Resonance as applicable to simple RLC series circuit? effect on circuit performance
- Explain three phase generation of voltage ? electrical engineering
- Explain in detail about what is star and delta three phase system ?
- Relation between phase voltage & line voltage in case of balanced star connected load
- relationship between line current & phase current for delta connected 3 load
- Relation between power consumed in a balanced star & delta connection