Q: Derive the relation between phase voltage and line voltage in case of balanced star connected load.
Derive an expression for total power input for n balance 3 phase load in terms of line quantities and power factors.
As show in figure given below, three equal impedances (load) are also connected in star across star-connected supply. If all the 3 impedances arc equal, then it is known as balanced load.
All the three voltages will have same magnitude but 1200 phase difference. These voltages are measured between neutral and phase points (i.e. R, Y, B) and hence known as phase voltages (V ph ). Three more combinations are also possible. These arc voltages between (i) pts. R and Y VRY (ii) pts. Y and B,VYB (iii) pts. B and R, VBR . These are known as line voltages ( VL ) .
Relation between VL and Vph
Phasor diagram for the phase voltages will be as shown below. We will calculate any one of the line voltage. VRY is the voltage between R and Y .From the figure,
Hence, VRY is obtained by adding ( -VY ) and The resultant VRY will be 300 ahead of VR . Hence, VL is 300 ahead of V ph . The magnitude of VRY can be calculated as,
Hence, magnitude of line voltage is magnitude under root 3 of phase voltage.
Relation-between IL and Iph
The three currents IR , IY and IB can be calculated as,
Hence, all the three currents have same magnitude but 1200 phase difference Now, current through neutral wire ( IN) will be the sum of all the three currents.
Expression for power : For 3-phase load
Total power , P = 3 phase power
A.C. CIRCUITS TOPIC
- Introduction Of AC Circuits In Electrical Engineering
- How emf is induced in single phase system ? single phase generation .
- Explain what is ac quantity : and Advantages of AC over DC in circuits
- What is waveform, amplitude, cycle, time-period, phase & phase difference
- Define RMS & average value as applied to A.C. voltage & current
- What is form factor? crest factor? peak factor? & power factor? in ac circuits
- what is phasor diagram, phasor algebra, leading & lagging ac quantities
- Phasor representation of alternating quantities – resistive, inductive, capacitive
- What is R-L-C series connection for A.C. circuit ? Explanation
- What is series combination of R-L circuit ? Explanation
- Define what is active power, reactive power, apparent power & power factor
- Explain what is series combination of R-C circuit in electrical engineering
- What is simple parallel AC circuits ? Explanation -electrical engineering
- Resonance as applicable to simple RLC series circuit? effect on circuit performance
- Explain three phase generation of voltage ? electrical engineering
- Explain in detail about what is star and delta three phase system ?
- Relation between phase voltage & line voltage in case of balanced star connected load
- relationship between line current & phase current for delta connected 3 load
- Relation between power consumed in a balanced star & delta connection