Question: Define the term ‘Resonance’ as applicable to a simple RLC series circuit. Discuss briefly the effect of Resonance on circuit performance. OR Explain resonance condition RLC parallel circuit.
Q: what is resonance in electrical circuits?
A series circuit is said to be at electrical resonance when its net reactance is zero. The frequency (Fr) at which electrical resonance occurs is called Resonant frequency ( Fr).
Resonance conditions for series circuit
- Impedance of resonance is only resistance i.e Z=R
- Net reactance is zero
therefore, X =XL – Xc = 0
XL = Xc
- VL -Vc = 0
VL = Vc
- Maximum current i.e line current, Imax = V/R
- The phase angle at electrical resonance is zero.
- Therefore,power factor is unity (cos 0 = 1 )
- XL =XC
- Quality factor (Q factor) :
The resonance condition in RLC Parallel circuit
Current in AC series RLC circuit at electrical resonance
The net reactance in RLC circuit shown in figure is,
If for same frequency of the applied voltage XL = XC (in magnitude) then X = 0 and Z = R as shown in figure (c). From figure (c), VL = IXL and VC = IXC, and these two are equal in magnitude but opposite in phase. Hence, they cancel each other. The applied voltage, V drops entirely across R. So that V = VR. The circuit impedance Z = R. The phasor diagram for series electrical resonance is shown in figure (d). It means that impedance of the circuit equals the ohmic resistance R so that current is maximum in the AC series RLC circuit.
A.C. CIRCUITS TOPIC
- Introduction Of AC Circuits In Electrical Engineering
- How emf is induced in a single-phase system? single phase generation.
- Explain what is ac quantity: and the Advantages of AC over DC in circuits
- What is waveform, amplitude, cycle, time-period, phase & phase difference
- Define RMS & average value as applied to A.C. voltage & current
- What is the form factor? crest factor? peak factor? & power factor? in ac circuits
- what is phasor diagram, phasor algebra, leading & lagging ac quantities
- Phasor representation of alternating quantities – resistive, inductive, capacitive
- What is the R-L-C series connection for the A.C. circuit? Explanation
- What is the series combination of the R-L circuit? Explanation
- Define what is an active power, reactive power, apparent power & power factor
- Explain what is the series combination of R-C circuit in electrical engineering
- What are simple parallel AC circuits? Explanation -electrical engineering
- Resonance as applicable to simple RLC series circuit? effect on circuit performance
- Explain the three-phase generation of voltage? electrical engineering
- Explain in detail what is star and delta three-phase system?
- The relation between phase voltage & line voltage in case of balanced star connected load
- relationship between line current & phase current for delta connected 3 load
- The relation between power consumed in a balanced star & delta connection